Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Scanning History 5


I have photographed more than a hundred celebrities, writers, actors, authors ,musicians and theater people.  Out of all my subjects, I am not sure why I ended up with the negative from this shoot, of the writer Nat Hentoff, of the Village Voice.  I remember he was in a completely cluttered office down in the village - piles of papers everywhere!  Remind you of anyone?  I photographed him at his cluttered desk, and then, since he was on the top floor of his building asked if we could go outside, which he agreed to.  Once out there I realized that as a famous New Yorker, the background of all the buildings in the Village behind him made a perfect photograph, and that's why I took this shot.  It really is fun to see the beauty and richness of the black & white photographs again, isn't it?

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first thing that I thought of when I saw this photo was Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof. Especially, since you are on a roof. Very interesting story and I laughed out loud at the "cluttered office"! I am really enjoying these black and white photos from your past. betsey

Anonymous said...

Love looking at these old black and white photos. A little scary thinking he is up on the roof top and I don't see railings.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

I think that he is standing on the fire escape. There is an opening in the wall around the roof that he is standing behind, and he is standing on the fire escape, which is safe. In any case, he died in 2017, at the age of 91.