Sunday, June 11, 2023

A New Fountain Pen


This is one of my favorite fountain pens!  It is an inexpensive pen costing about $30 but it is such a great pen it writes as smoothly as my $100 fountain pens.  It is called a Lamy Safari pen and how they manage to make such a smooth writing nib at that price is just unimaginable.  In February of 2016 Stan and I went to Albuquerque for an opening of a photographic show which we both had photographs in.  Afterwards we went down to visit a long time astronomer friend in Magdalena, NM, and we also did some hiking in the area.  We walked up to an old abandoned mine and took photographs and walked around.  When we were back at the hotel I discovered that my beautiful Pelikan fountain pen was missing.  We looked everywhere, where we had breakfast and some other spots, and it was gone!  Broke my heart.  That fountain pen cost about $100.  So when I got home and was at a fountain pen show here on Long Island I saw a pen like this on display.  I immediately bought it, and THIS is the pen I take when I think I might be at risk of losing a pen on a trip!  My original pen still works perfectly, but the cap is a bit loose, and the nib is liable to stain my white shirts with ink, so I bought this new one.  Just for fun I photographed it against a blue sky with clouds.  I held the pen up in the air with an opened paper clip in the bottom, and then retouched the paper clip out, so that this looks like a rocket headed for space.  I have no idea why I did that! 



 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool shot! I love my Lamy fountain pen. This post reminds me that I should practice some Caligraphy…Betsey

ginger said...

a touch of dali

Ken Spencer said...

Oh man "a touch of Dali..." It never occurred to me! Thanks!