Friday, June 9, 2023

Just the Steel


They have now removed all the brickwork from around this steel frame at this substation.  What kills me is that I thought I had a photograph of the brick structure before the demolition began but I can't find it right away.  But I will look.  So you saw it partially demolished in a post here: Another Demolition but a lot of the brickwork was already gone.  I do love this photograph, because by photographing it in infrared, the dark trees that blended into the steelwork are now white and the steel is more obvious.  It is not clear to me what was once in this structure.  But there is still a substation here and it is made up of all the lighter steelwork to the right of the photo.  And under that structure are a number of transformers to take the high voltage coming in from overhead wires and lowering  the voltage before distributing that current to lines that distribute the electricity to the community.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo. Taking the photo with infrared takes this scene to a whole new level. Love the white trees and black framing.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Joan, Thank you! I appreciate that you like the infrared effect. And under these circumstances instead of it being some "tricky" technique to make the photograph interesting, it helps tell the story.