Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Smoke from Canadian Wildfires


Crazy day today!  I drove out to Islip MacArthur Airport to do some flying.  When I arrived the visibility was 4 miles.  I need 3 miles to fly VFR - visual flight rules.  So I was good.  By the time it was time for me to fly, the visibility had suddenly dropped to two miles!   Arghhhhhhhh.  So the instructor and I flew in the simulator and that was some worthwhile training.  When we came out of the similator building, we were both stunned at the color of the sky!  The smoke from the Canadian wildfires had arrived!


This is a UH-1 "Huey" on display up in the air at the Army Aviation Unit at MacArthur airport, and it was pretty dramatic to see this against the background of the smoke.  Not only was the color of the sky different, but it became fairly dark.


These are cars on Route 454 coming eastbound after getting off the Long Island Expressway.


And this is the Long Island Expressway as I headed home.  As I drove from Suffolk County to Nassau County, it began to get brighter, fortunately.  What an incredible thing to see.  A real "once-in-a-lifetime" experience for me.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you did not have a chance to fly but I am thankful you did not take off in the plane only to have the smoke intensify while you were in the air. Great photos The air is clearing visibly here, but the air quality is worse. Hard to imagine for the people and animals in Canada.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I’m sorry that you could not fly. The color of your photos tells everything. I feel for people who work outdoors. I hope that the “once in a lifetime” truly is and that they can get the raging fires under control! Betsey