Sunday, June 4, 2023

Less and Less


The first thing I do when I arrive at Penn Station these days, is to go out the 7th Avenue exit and look up to see how the demolition of the Hotel Pennsylvania is going.  Well, this first photograph was taken on March 30.  And then I forgot to edit and post the images from that day!  Duh!  So here is a photo from that day.  Notice the really unusual light on the front of the hotel, which is draped in black fabric.  I was really puzzled by this until I realized that the sun was reflecting off modern skyscraper windows across the street and on to what remains of the hotel.  So eerie, I think.  I cannot believe I forgot to post this!


So now we jump to my visit last Thursday, and look how much lower the building is now than it was then.  This difference is over a period of two months.  I was worried that the only thing I might see is a huge hole in the ground!  It is, or was a massive building, so that's why it hasn't completely disappeared by now.  the Empire State Building in the background is a great yardstick for seeing the difference in height between March and the end of May.


And this particular view probably gives a better sense of how much lower the building is now.  I guess it will still be a while before it is down to ground level.  But I sure shouldn't wait to long to get back there!


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The top photo looks like printed fabric. Amazing how they can remove all the debris floor by floor and the time it takes. Betsey