Thursday, June 1, 2023

The Orange Ball


I was in the city today and I got home late.  While fixing dinner, I noticed that it was hazy and thought that this could be the kind of night where, because of the haze, as the sun went down, all the atmosphere and haze could give me an orange ball, because the sun't brightness was attenuated by all the stuff in the air.  So I grabbed my 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor telephoto lens, AND a 2X extender which essentially increases the lens focal length by a factor of two, giving me a 600 mm lens.  So I went to Memorial Park in Sea Cliff which overlooks Long Island Sound and which faces northwest.  So you are looking at the buildings of New Rochelle, NY which from Sea Cliff is about 8 miles across the sound.  What was cool was as I watched through the camera, suddenly from the right, came a tugboat pushing a barge, which was the perfect object of interest to complete the photograph.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a shot of the sun! It is beautiful. Trace

Anonymous said...

Wow! Fantastic color against the dark water and buildings. Betsey

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photo. The color and the size is amazing.
Joan

Linda said...

Great capture. I'm terrible at capturing sunrise and sunset, so I'm definitely impressed by this image. Love the cityscape on the horizon and the boat definitely adds to the image.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your nice comments.