Monday, June 22, 2020

Archive - Traveling - Bryce Canyon


I attended three workshops with Mark Klett and I think it was the second one that began at Bryce Canyon National Park.  We stayed overnight so I got to do some photographs late in the day, and early in the morning, and at night I got to do some stargazing with binoculars under the spectacular dark skies at 9,000 feet in Bryce.  I was using a 4x5 view camera and shooting Polaroid 55 P/N film, which gave you a negative and a print all at the same time.  You had to put the wet negative, after you peeled it off the Polaroid print, into a white plastic bucket that contained sodium sulfite and which I carried around with me all day, until I had a chance to wash the negatives at night in a motel bathroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Love this photo. Looks "ghostly" or from another planet because of the soft white rock formations. I am so used to the reddish brown hue from most pictures that this is startling. How big were the negatives that had to be carried in solution? Were they 4" X 5" ? betsey

Anonymous said...

Interesting photo. I cannot imagine carrying a bucket with me all day. We have come a long way in the world of digital and portable, but the old photos have so much depth to them.
Joan