Friday, June 5, 2020

The Lost Hard Drive


You know what?  I used to be a good photographer.  Wait!  Where did that come from?  Well, I stumbled across an old hard drive from 2006 while digging around in my stuff.  I put it in an external case and connected it to my computer and there were some wonderful photographs there, that I had completely forgotten about!  They started a project at the paper where a photographer would go to a particular Zip Code and do a photo essay.  I chose Montauk, NY 11954.  I drove to Montauk and spent the day and into the night doing photographs.  I think the paper decided to abandon this project, and I had forgotten about it.  I have some wonderful photographs from that shoot, and this is one of them.  It is a child looking through those binoculars where you have to put a quarter into it in order to look through them.  I thought that this was funny because the binoculars mimic the child's face!

3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

For those of you who visit this Blog for the purpose of leaving smarter than when you arrived, I would like to offer the following information.

Today's very cool photo shows a young child using a Tower Optical Binocular, which appears to be the type manufactured by the Tower Optical Company, Inc. located in Norwalk, CT. Magnification is 10 x 42. What has always amazed about this device is how poor the optical quality is relative to the size and robust build quality of this piece of equipment. You would think the manufacturer would have installed much higher quality lenses to enhance a better viewing experience - especially for twenty-five cents a pop!

Maybe today's Blog post will inspire you to dig out more photos from years past for all of us to enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I think the binoculars look like an owl face! Nice shot of the Montauk Lighthouse in the distance. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Primo! Thanks so much for all the detailed information about the Tower Optical binocular! Wow, made in Norwalk, Connecticut!