Tuesday, March 22, 2022

At the Gallery


So Stan and I met at a gallery in lower Manhattan to see a couple of exhibits - one a series of large photographs, and this exhibit of some paintings from the 1950's and 1960's by Ad Reinhardt.  This is part of the text on display in the museum.  "The artist began as a key practitioner of abstraction,  He became a core member of the Abstract Expressionists and a forefather of Minimalism and Conceptualism and installation art."  My photographs are not about the art itself, but I wanted to explain the subtle nature of the paintings.  You are instructed to sit on a bench in front of each painting, and stare at it for a time until you start to see very slight color changes that reveal in some cases, geometric shapes.  At first glance, you might think that each painting is the same color on its entire surface.  In any case, this photograph is about the people distributed about in the gallery, their back silhouettes against the white walls.  I saw this arrangement coming as I noticed one woman get up and another walk into the frame from out of the corner of my eye.  I quickly took four photographs in quick succession and this is the best.


I took this photograph next, and only now have I realized that I have the same woman in the foreground of both photographs!  I am posting this photograph so you can see how subtle the color changes are on the surface of the painting.  Click on these photos to see them in more detail, please.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The color changes and the shapes are so subtle - it's amazing! betsey