Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Windows and Air Conditioners


When we were on the top floor of the gallery, there was an exhibit space that had three walls to hang artwork on.  The fourth wall, was in fact, a window that was probably 50 feet wide and looked out on the city.  It was a spectacular view of the city from this window.  But what caught my eye was the pattern of all these windows, and the funny thing was, the first thing I noticed was where the air conditioners were located in each of the windows!  I was fascinated by the patterns.  The smokestack on the left is on a building in front of these windows.  Hope you find this as interesting as I do.  Please be sure and click on this to see so much more detail.

 

4 comments:

Ron said...

Ken, when visiting with Alex’s parents I was always transfixed by the views from their apartment window. Having grown up in the west where high rises were(are) few and far between, I surprised myself by how much time I would spend looking at the different buildings and the windows and rooftops and all the things I had never thought about before. Thanks for this photo. It makes me miss the apartment at 28th and 2nd so, so much.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting photo. I am surprised they do not remove the air conditioners for the winter, but I guess installing them so high off the ground might be risky. I smiled at Ron's comment as I have never lived in a high rise apartment complex or viewed the City from so high up. I'll stay with my green grass in the suburbs.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

The word "sweatshop" came to mind immediately upon viewing today's blog photo. While the image is interesting I find the the subject very depressing. No doubt the interior of this old building is no better than its exterior. I can image row after row and floor after floor of women working with sewing machines turning out tourist products such as: "I LOVE NY" T-shirts! Something a bit more uplifting tomorrow, please!

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your comments. Ron, it is so nice to hear of your sense of the city when you visited Edie and her husband, who's name I have forgotten. I find when I have visited friends apartments, or photographed someone in their home in the city I did always gravitate to the windows to see what I could see and photograph of the city.