Monday, March 21, 2022

The James A. Farley Building


This is the second building I saw when I came out of Penn Station the other day.  This is the James A. Farley building which formerly served as the city's main United States Post Office branch.  Designed by McKim, Mead, & White in the Beaux-Arts style, the structure was built between 1911 and 1914.  The monumental facade was conceived as a Corinthian colonnade, composed of twenty 53-foot tall columns - the largest of its style in the world. The imposing design was meant to match the strength of the colonnade of McKim, Mead, and Whites original Pennsylvania Station across Eighth Avenue. What caught my eye was the side light on the columns which makes them very three dimensional.  Oh I nearly forgot - this building is now the beautiful new Moynihan Train Station!  You can see my post on the interior of the station here:  Moynihan Interior



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this photo! A beautiful building with massive columns and the lighting was perfect. Fun to see the people sitting on the steps to put everything into proportion. Thanks for the link back to the inside last year. I would never have imagined the modern interior in this building.
Joan

Anonymous said...

When I looked at your photos of the interior, I saw that I had posted a comment back in April 2021. No wonder it looked familiar! I really like the photo of the James A. Farley building. So impressive! betsey

Anonymous said...

Like the photo of this great building. The columns are amazing. It's nice to see people sitting on the steps and hopefully enjoying the day. Trace

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your nice comments. And mentioning how important the small figures are in giving scale to the size of the building. And yes, what a surprise to go into the Moynihan Train Hall and see how beautiful, and unexpected that interior is.