Sunday, March 20, 2022

The Answer to the Quiz!


My apologies for posting such a difficult quiz.  First of all I guess I should have mentioned that I took the photograph in Manhattan.  But I think this was way too difficult.  The photograph was taken at the High Line, one of my favorite places to visit in Manhattan.  The High Line was an elevated railway used to move freight around lower Manhattan.  At one point Mayor Giuliani ordered the High Line demolished, but then Mayor Bloomberg was elected to office and some people in his administration worked with a group called "Friends of the High Line" and the structure was saved, fortunately, and made into a park, one of the most famous elevated parks in the world!


So when they built the park they removed the railroad tracks, and sandblasted and repainted all the steel structure with special anti-rust coatings, and then they replaced the gravel and earth and railroad tracks and added special walkways that made from precast concrete pavers.  The High Line is best when all the plantings are in bloom, but it is still wonderful to walk along at any time of year.  This sculpture is called "One Second" by Antonia Vega Macotela, is one second of data from an MP3 file embedded in this large acrylic lens. So the Crocus were the only thing I could see blooming among the railroad tracks.  Sorry this was such an impossible quiz.

 

5 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Before logging on this morning, I felt pretty sure yesterday's quiz pic was the High Line. The thought just came to me too late to win! One thing I noticed in the photo is that the track ties seemed a little further apart than normal (a clue) and also you had been in NYC recently (another clue). I guess I'm clueless when it matters!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you gave Betsey and I a guided tour of the High Line a few years ago. It was a wonderful day.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: I trust you when you say you were going to say "The Highline" so your prize will be coming in the mail!

Anonymous said...

Does this mean that I won since I posted yesterday afternoon that I thought it was from the High Line? I really enjoyed our trip along the High Line in 2017. I looked up photos to check what year you took Joan and I on this "tour". betsey

ken schwarz said...

Secondo, my powers of deductive reasoning failed me yesterday. I thought perhaps the tracks might have served the Glenwood Landing power plant that has since been taken down. But I was bothered by the spacing of the RR Ties....? This morning, I thought about your photo of steam wafting in front of the Empire State building (a very nice photo by the way) - that was the "a ah moment" knowing that you were recently in the Big Apple. Ciao! Primo