Monday, May 16, 2022

Lunar Eclipse!


I managed to photograph the total Lunar Eclipse last night, but it was a close call.  The clouds were overcast all evening and the forecast was not looking good.  At 11:00 PM I went outside to look and the moon was visible through clouds and there was a huge hole in the clouds overhead!  Completely unexpected.  So I rushed to put all my equipment in the car, and headed up to the large ball field in town, which is surrounded by trees which I though might give me some kind of foreground.  These two large pine trees did the trick.  To the naked eye, the moon was very dim and not much color at all. But with a 2 second exposure using my camera, we get to see more color and the moon is brighter than it appears to the eye.  The hole in the clouds lasted for 25 minutes and I had plenty of time to get this right!  Whew!  Lucky me.  Many on Long Island did not see the eclipse at all!

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing photo. The moon and the stars are beautiful, and I love the shape of the tree branches almost framing the sky. Definitely a heavenly scene. Trace

Anonymous said...

I am happy you were able to capture this wonderful photo of the moon framed by the large pine trees. Picture Perfect!
Joan

Anonymous said...

Spectacular! So happy that the weather cooperated so you could get this photo. Perfectly framed with wonderful color! betsey

ken schwarz said...

Sensational Lunar Eclipse Photo! I stayed up past by bedtime to see the big event. Everything was progressing nicely until low flying clouds moved into my field of view just before the total eclipse.

Ken Spencer said...

Primo, thats so sad. Such is the life of an astronomer. At the whims of weather every time you go out hoping to see some astronomical event! That's why astronomers live in the southwest United States!