Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Jupiter and the Moon


I have yet to tell the story, but I will soon.  Last night another member of the club and I drove an hour to a middle school in Bay Shore, on the south shore to set up our telescopes.  We showed Jupiter and the Moon to the people who came.  More on that tomorrow.  So tonight, after the sun set, I was driving to a friends for some computer help, and when I looked up, I was stunned to see Jupiter and the moon so close together!  Stunned!  I was not expecting that, and to see a crescent moon with the "bright star" of Jupiter so close to it was such a wonderful experience.  Fortunately the duo were quite high in the sky, so they were still up when I got home and I got out my 200-600mm telephoto and framed the two objects through the branches of the giant Hickory tree on our front lawn.  Not sure if you can see this, but if you enlarge the image, I captured the four moons of Jupiter in the photograph!  One more surprise!
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is magnificent! What a great photo of the beautiful nighttime sky! Trace

Anonymous said...

I was leaving a restaurant at 8:45 last night and got to see the beautiful crescent Moon and Jupiter. What a wonderful sight to see.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Seeing the four moons of Jupiter is beyond spectacular!!! Betsey