Tuesday, March 26, 2024

The Flower Expert


At the start of my walk today I had only gone downhill a few hundred feet before a saw an area to the side of the road with these pretty flowers in it.  There were hundreds in this patch of weeds and wild grasses.  These blossoms are called "Little blue flowers" and I just thought you would like to know their name.  How do I know this?  Because for almost half my career I did garden photography for the magazine and for a couple of garden books and for three garden calendars.  So it is clear I am an expert! OK, you got me!  I haven't a clue what these are called.  And after all my garden photography, I can probably only name perhaps six flowers.  Busted!  Clearly I am hardly an expert!  I hope my silliness made you laugh.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought they might be bluebells or snow glories, but those have more petals I think. I got my phone out and used the "Seek App".
It says these are Siberian Squill or Wood Squill, a species of the Asparagaea family. Never heard of them before but they are so pretty and delicate. I love seeing all the early Spring flowers sprouting.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Thank You Joan! I knew that some of my faithful readers would be able to identify my "little blue flowers!" And now I even know the Latin name!

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud at your comment. I’m so glad that Joan looked up the name of these pretty little blue flowers. Betsey