Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Saving the Cliff House


Yesterday when I mentioned I had gone to the beach to shoot something and then found the sunset as well, well, this is the "something."  They are clearly done with most of the rebuilding and support of the cliff and they have saved this historic house!  The people who live there are gardeners, so I am guessing in a year or so there will be plantings on the terraces which will probably soften the structures, maybe with trees in front or ivy growing on the walls.  I will be your faithful reporter and make other posts after I see changes. But this is great news to see!


In this photograph, I walked out on the beach and the further I got from the road, the more I could see of the house.  So between the two views you get a pretty good idea of all that they have done.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine the time and expense involved in this project. The second photo really shows the terraces more. I would love to see the view these homeowners enjoy and I look forward to see what they will do to soften the landscape.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I was going to leave a comment but your sister, Joan, took my first line!

Ken Spencer said...

So these comments are private, really, unless someone reads the blog. I just checked Zillow.com and the property is valued at $ 1,870,000. I have no idea at all what the work to stabilize the cliff face was. But it has to be a significant percentage of the home value. But with the location and stunning view of the harbor and Long Island Sound and the cities of Rye and New Rochelle, it would be really hard to abandon that beautiful cottage.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see the street view of this home. All that solid concrete structural work takes away from the beauty of the house but I’m sure it will improve with plantings. Betsey