Sunday, March 24, 2024

Practicing for the Eclipse


Stan says that for the the eclipse, we need to practice, practice, practice.  The time in Rochester for  totality is only 3 minutes and 40 seconds, so when totality starts I have to do everything exactly right to start photographing because totality will be over before I know it.  The important thing is to do some photography through my telescope quickly, and then stop photographing and then just LOOK at the eclipse with my eyes! So many people get caught up in photography, they forget to actually watch the eclipse!


While I was testing the telescope today, I took a few photographs of the sun's disk, and was amazed at all the sunspots on it today.  I should mention that the equatorial mount I am using is complicated to set up because I need to level it carefully and then align it with true north.  It has two motors in it that follow the sun while I am taking photographs.  I need to have the setup of the mount down pat so I can set it up without any mistakes.  Practice, practice, practice.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you practicing so you can get everything ready. I started looking for the special eclipse glasses i used years ago to watch. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them :-( But will keep searching...Betsey

Anonymous said...

Practice makes perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป. Now that you’re in Rochester, adorned with some cool ๐Ÿ‘️ protection, I look forward to some of your eclipse photos. Nha