Friday, March 12, 2021

American Vernacular


On our field trip out to Mattituck yesterday we drove by this building on the way out, and as it flashed by my window, I made a note of stopping to photograph it on the way back.  I am not sure what it was that caught my eye, and I still don't know.  It was in a cluster of other barns, but this one alone got my attention.  Stan and I are always talking about "American Vernacular" things that we both see and photograph for each other.  So I thought I should look it up.  Here is some of what Wikipedia says about "vernacular:"  "Vernacular photography is the creation of photographs that take everyday life and common things as subjects.  Though the more commonly known definition of the word "vernacular" is a quality of being indigenous or native, the use of the word in relation to art and architecture refers more to being, concerned with ordinary domestic and functional buildings rather than the essentially monumental.  There you go, another free lesson from your favorite blog!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The house covered in cedar shingles makes me think of cottages along the Massachusetts shore. The barn looks to be in great shape. Nice scene along your journey yesterday. betsey

Amy said...

Gorgeous barn! Interesting how that one section seems to have redder shingles, maybe being shadowed by the chimney. And thank you for the lesson. :)