Wednesday, March 10, 2021

An Astronomy Lesson


So here is the "Big Dipper" over a bare tree in winter.  The Big Dipper is not a constellation, it is actually and "asterism."  An asterism is a popularly-known pattern or group of stars that can be seen in the night sky.  The name of the constellation is actually called "Ursa Major" or the Great Bear.  This constellation has a lot more stars in it and is much larger than just the big dipper.  The Great Bear has front legs, and hind legs, and a head.  This is the most recognizable constellation in the sky.  Orion, which you saw last night is the second most recognizable one.  You are welcome for this free astronomy  lesson.  Aren't you glad you stopped by?

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These photos are wonderful! The night sky is absolutely beautiful! Trace

Anonymous said...

I enjoy seeing the constellations/asterisms. I think we all learned The Big Dipper when we were kids. Also, loved seeing Orion in yesterday's photo which I looked up on Wikipedia. I always appreciate learning new things...betsey

Anonymous said...

I am always glad I stopped by. Thank you. The Big Dipper and Orion's Belt are the few that I am familiar with. I love seeing your photos and have you share your knowledge.
Joan

Amy said...

An asterism. Who knew?! Thanks for the lesson! Beautiful shot.