Thursday, March 18, 2021

"Second Hand News"


I don't think I saw this sculpture until my second visit to the oral surgeon, who removed an infected molar some weeks ago.  She was wonderful and by the next day there was no pain.  I had to go back for a check up and I think I noticed it then.  But it wasn't until my third visit that I really saw this sculpture.  What a cool sculpture!  Two men in suits reading a newspaper!  A newspaper, such an important part of my life for 43 years!  The artist is Seward Johnson, and the sculpture is titled "Second Hand News."  And here is the cool thing - There was an exhibit of his sculptures at Old Westbury Gardens back in 2017.  If you look in the upper left hand corner of the page there is a white box with a magnifying glass, enter "seward,"  hit "return" and it will take you to two posts showing his sculptures!



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great sculpture, however it is sad that so few households subscribe to newspapers now as it is second hand news a day later after the internet. Thanks for suggesting the link to see the sculptures from Westbury.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I remember that you had posted many photos of Seward Johnson's sculptures but had to look at them again. I took a photo of a different "Second Hand News" sculpture when I followed the Simsbury Art Trail last summer. I "found" 11 out of 18 or 20 that had been set up all around Simsbury. I really enjoyed taking photos of them. betsey