Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Buttonball Trees


When I was leaving the Metropolitan Museum of Art I was looking at everything, as I always do.  I have been here so many times - I am a member - but I never remembered seeing these trees.  Probably because they usually have leaves on them.  I bet, dollars to donuts, that they are Buttonball trees, formally known as Sycamore trees.  How do I know this?  Because all the tries that line the road by the harbor in Sea Cliff are Sycamore trees.  And my grandparent's farm was called "Buttonball Farm" because of the giant Sycamore trees in front.  I took this photograph because of the contrast between the trees with the dark clusters of branches on the end of each large branch.  That's how they trim the trees along the harbor.  The tree branches are going every which way and that contrasts with the smoothness of the museum building in the background. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not realize that Buttonball trees and Sycamore trees were the same. I think of the tree on the farm in Guilford being so wide and huge. When it finally came down, I think eight or more of us could sit around the stump. These trees are so thin. Interesting photo.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I did not think that Sycamore trees and Buttonball trees were the same…But I like your photo of the Sycamore because of the “crazy” branches. Betsey