Friday, January 12, 2024

This Was Difficult


This photograph was difficult.  Not to take.  But to process afterwards so that it looks good.  I was on my bike and going by the golf course, when I saw the bright orange color between the horizon and the overcast clouds.  That's what made made me turn around and come back to shoot this.  I didn't have a camera with me only my iPhone.  And my iPhone is six years old, so it only shoots JPG files, not the new RAW files which are much better quality.  So after I took this I had to work on the image a lot, to make the dark shadows lighter, and the bright sky darker.  It was a complicated process.  When I was done, then I wasn't sure which version I liked best.  This one, cropped in closer, or the one below which gave a wider view of the scene and which included more sun and clouds.  So which one do you like?  I am really not sure which one my favorite is.  Please let me know what you think.










 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the first photo. The sun shining in the second photo distracts me.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

The second photo is about the drama of the sun breaking out from late afternoon clouds over tree tops. For me, however, the interest is the first photo where my eyes were drawn to a pair of seemingly unattended golf bags on a golf course with no players in view.

ken schwarz said...

PS: I meant to mention that you more than me has spent thousands of dollars on cameras, lenses, filters, et. al. to capture a moment in time. It astounds me that a micro lens and tiny chip stuffed inside a small cell phone has the ability to take very nice photographs that are usually sharp and perfectly exposed. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

At first I liked the second photo with the trees “holding up” the fading sun. Then I realized that I prefer the first one because of the orange color brightening up the dark trees and greens without the distraction of the sun and clouds. The 2 lonely golf bags look as if they have been deserted…Betsey