Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Late Night Snow


I took the garbage can out to the street late last night and I was surprised to see that it was snowing!  So after I went back in the house I decided to grab my SONY camera and come back outside.  I have one lens for the SONY that is very special.  It is a 50mm focal length and it has a very wide aperture.  Most lenses these days are f/4 aperture.  The next larger aperture is f/2.8, and the next is f/2, and my lens is f/1.4.  That is a really wide aperture and lets in 8 times more light.  So I can easily take photographs in very dim light, like at night, which I did last night.


When the aperture is wide, then I can hand hold the camera and use a faster shutter speed, which in this case, freezes the snowflakes in flight.  I had two photographs I thought worth posting, so there they are.  No need to vote, I just wanted to give you separate photographs taken when it was snowing.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like both photos. The first is quiet and peaceful. The second is fun because I’m seeing the falling snow highlighted by the street light. Betsey

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. The shadows on the street from tree branches creates an interesting photo on a peaceful night. The snow falling is fun to see in front of street light. I stayed inside because everything was covered in ice last night.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Love these photos. The evergreens, the snow and the lighting create such a peaceful and calm scene. Trace