Monday, January 15, 2024

Computers and Maintenance and Archiving


There are some days I spend more than the usual amount of time on my computers.  It is amazing how many photographs I take each day.  I save every photograph I shoot, on external hard drives, like the ones you see here in many colors.  Each folder of photographs gets copied to two drives, for safety, in case one drive fails    It is surprising how much space the images from modern cameras take up, because they are of such high quality.  Those drives are my archives.   Then I also follow the practice of backing up each computer's drive once a month by making a "clone" of the computer's SSD drive, to a small portable drive.  I have my home laptop, the big one and I also have a smaller travel laptop.  So it seems I am always doing backups on one or the other of them.  It's a lot to keep track of.  Some days  photography seems like a lot of work!
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a lot of external hard drives. I need to get a new one as the drive I had for my Mac Book Pro does not connect to my new Mack Book Air. I only have two tiny ports now. Any suggestions from the computer expert?
Joan

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is a lot of work! But that’s what you do - keep everything safe and secure…Betsey

Mark S. said...

For Apple computers, you should use Time Machine as the first backup and iCloud as the second backup. Time Machine is automatic. Plug the drive in and it will automatically backup the files, and the cool thing is you can go back in time to a different version of the file if you modified it.

Now, for your third copy, I use BackBlaze. Again, backups are automated, and you don't even have to think about it. $9/month, yeah, it isn't cheap, but losing my data and photo is worth it, especially if you have a drive crash or with an SSD a failure.

I also have a subscription for Microsoft Office 365 for the entire family. This gives each user a 1TB online drive. All my Photos in my Apple Photo are copied there as well.

Mark S said...

Your MacBook Pro has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, the little ports. Your MacBook Air uses USB-3 ports, the more traditional ones. There are USB-C to USB3 adapters that you can get for a few bucks. Do your drives have plug-in cables? If so, just get another cable with the correct ends.