Friday, April 16, 2021

Escape to New York - II


I can't believe this.  I haven't been to Manhattan in a year, and I haven't been to Penn Station.  I figured Penn Station would be fine without my checking on it, right?  Well, I was wrong!  In one short year, look what has happened to Penn!  These enormous I-beams have reduced the ceiling height so that it feels they are only a foot over your head.


And THEN I got to the end of the corridor and was stunned to see these chrome escalator railings leading to a giant opening in the ceiling with a light blue map of the five boroughs, surrounding a giant window to the sky!  Wow!  A whole new direct entrance to the Long Island Railroad area at Penn Station!  Unreal.  What a surprise to see this bright opening at the end of a mundane, relatively dark corridor, that I have walked through for years!  This changes everything!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is light at the end of the tunnel! Love this photo leading up to the sky. I have never been to Penn Station so have no idea what it looked like before but with low ceilings, it is very gloomy.
Joan

Anonymous said...

The low ceilings made me think of very tall people having difficulty walking through the area. Then I was thrilled to see the photo of the ceiling showing the boroughs and those chrome escalators. So cool!! betsey