Monday, April 19, 2021

Escape to New York - V

 

When I am in museums with my camera, which is always, I like to keep my eye out for people looking at the artwork.  When I saw this woman and her iridescent blue jacket in the gallery, I thought it would make an interesting photograph, because she was the brightest thing in the room!  She out-shone the black and white etchings she was looking at.


So here's the funny thing - Stan and I moved on to a gallery showing abstract impressionistic paintings, and specifically four Mark Rothko works.  I have been working for perhaps five years to try and understand more, and experience more while viewing Rothko paintings.  So I stood in front of this painting which I love, and did not move for 5 or 10 minutes while I was absorbing it.  Of course what I didn't know was that Stan saw me and did this photo with his phone!  "Turnabout is fair play," as they say!  (Photograph by Stan Honda)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the contrasts and complete opposite in both of the photos.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

It would take a lot more than five or ten minutes for me to figure out what thought Mark Rothko intended to convey in this painting. I could see, perhaps, this painting was commissioned by someone with very deep pockets needing specific colors on a wall to compliment the decor of a NYC penthouse apartment.

Anonymous said...

I like what Joan said about the photos being opposites. And I like what Ken Schwarz said about taking longer to figure out Mark Rothko :-) betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your comments! They keep me going!