Monday, April 12, 2021

"Film Photography Day"

 



I received an email this morning from Hunt's Photo announcing that April 12 is "Film Photography Day." Who ever heard of that?  Is that real, or made up?  Well I checked and it is real, but I was not sure if it meant I could not shoot digital images on Film Photography Day!  So I decided to dig through my archives and find an unpublished image shot with film.  You can tell this is a real film image because it was shot with my 4x5 camera on Polaroid Type 55 P/N film and you can tell that by the borders around the image.  This is a famous petroglyph which I photographed at Sears Point, Arizona.  There are hundreds of petroglyphs here that lie next to the Gila River.  Petroglyphs are difficult to date, so archaeologists have no way of knowing their age.  But what is amazing about this one, is that the rock has fractured since the Petroglyph was chipped in the surface.  How's that for a mind bending exercise in the passage of time.  Can you find a person in this photograph?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see a person at the near the edge in the top left corner. I smiled when you questioned whether you could post a digital photo on Film Photography Day. I have the "Spencer" trait to take things too literally most of the time! Bravo for digging through your film photos and giving us the real thing. Great photo.
Joan

Anonymous said...

These Petroglyphs are amazing. Too bad that they cannot be dated...I love seeing photos that we haven't seen before. This is so unique. I spotted the borders/edges of your photo right away. Had to go looking for the person way off in the distance. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Glad you both saw the guy on the cliff! I couldn't believe my eyes after I had set up and composed the photograph, that just before I took the photograph the guy walked out on the mesa! He was one of the members of the group in our photographic workshop.