Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Escape to New York - XIV


This is the brand new Daniel Patrick Moynihan Train Hall that is actually inside the old post office, which is across 8th Avenue from Penn Station.  It is quite beautiful, I think, with the incredible skylights and the old fashioned styled ironwork holding the ceiling up.  It is bright and modern and airy and clean, compared to the Long Island Railroad train area, which is also being updated.  That's why the low, red, I-Beams were overhead in the photographs I showed in one of my early posts from New York.  There is a tunnel from this area, down under Eighth Avenue over to Penn Station, which is wonderful if it is raining or snowing.  This hall will allow for more access to the LIRR trains, and they are planning on adding more tracks for more trains under this hall.  This is also an additional terminal for Amtrack and New Jersey Transit as well.  They did such a nice job with this, I can't wait to see what they do with the redesigned LIRR area.  Stay tuned!


Here are two detailed photographs of the ironwork and the huge skylight windows.  So nicely done!  Be SURE to click on the first photograph because I posted it in a larger size and it will enlarge to fill your screen!


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the open spacious ceilings and the ironwork. Thanks for the detailed photos. betsey