Sunday, March 26, 2023

A 5 Day Old Moon


I took some empty bottles out to the garage after supper, and when I turned around to go back in the house I saw the Moon and Venus over the back room.  So I went out in the side yard to get a better look at the Moon and thought that just the Moon alone with the house and one illuminated window, and the beautiful Sycamore tree in the front yard silhouetted against the deep blue sky was a photograph!  The Moon is a thin crescent, only 5 days old.  The Moon increases in age until it is 28 days old and then it is a "New Moon" and is no longer visible because it is too close to the sun.  Since the Moon is so bright, it overwhelms the camera sensor and appears as a white ball, instead of a thin crescent.  But the photograph is still quite beautiful I think. Please click on it to see it in more detail, especially the tree.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful nighttime photo of the sky. The moon and stars are lovely, and I like how the photo shows the beautiful shapes of the trees. The house and the light in the window add to the warmth of the photo. Trace

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo with the deep blue sky and outlines of home and trees. Im surprised the crescent moon appears as full circle. Saw the crescent moon and venus last night. Lovely.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Yeah, in shorter, darker photographs that I took before I got the exposure right, the moon is definitely seen as a crescent.