Friday, March 24, 2023

Industrial Machinery

                              

I had to bring my car to a body shop today for a repair of a broken trunk hinge.  After dropping the car off,  I decided to walk home, just for the exercise.  I have been to this body shop a number of times for minor repairs.  But the beauty of walking is that I have time to look around.  I have driven by this plant before an found it fascinating.  It is an asphalt plant.  And I love industrial machinery.  So I had my toy camera with me, and since the gate was open so I could get a nice view of the machinery, and so I did some photographs.  I am not sure what part these silos play in what is produced here. 


This is another part of the plant, and this is where the asphalt is produced.  Materials come in to the top of the large, dark, cylinder on the right hand side, and that cylinder rotates and it heated, and at the bottom of the cylinder the finished asphalt is loaded onto trucks.  I took the original photographs in color of course, but decided that I liked the photographs better after they were converted to black & white.



3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

My wild uninformed guess might be that you passed by a concrete production facility on the way home from the body repair shop.

Linda said...

I don't know what it is about these structures that I love so much, but I can hardly pass one without wanting to stop and make photos. These are beautiful shots, and putting them in black & white is a great idea.

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Linda: Thanks so much for your kind compliments on my photographs. I love subjects like this! I am so glad that you love photographs of these subjects as well. Do you know the work of the German photographers Bernd and Hilla Becher? From Wikipedia: "Bernd and Hilla Becher first collaborated on photographing and documenting the disappearing German industrial architecture in 1959. The Ruhr Valley, where Becher's family had worked in the steel and mining industries, was their initial focus. They were fascinated by the similar shapes in which certain buildings were designed. After collating thousands of pictures of individual structures, they noticed that the various edifices – of cooling towers, gas tanks and coal bunkers, for instance – shared many distinctive formal qualities. In addition, they were intrigued by the fact that so many of these industrial buildings seemed to have been built with a great deal of attention toward design." I have been a fan of their work for rthe last 40 years and they have published a number of books. I wonder if you have seen their work. It is stunning!