Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Speaking of Varnish


This is a photograph of the Sea Cliff Fire Department, which is a volunteer department located in this beautiful, historic building.  Last year I saw members of the fire department sanding these beautiful oak doors.  That went on for quite a while.  This was a lot of work for them, given how large the doors are.  Then I came by and they had varnished them.  I have no idea whether or not they did more than one coat of varnish or not - I am guessing probably two coats or more.  But the finished doors are just beautiful now that they have been refinished.  They did a lot more work on these doors, than I did on the floors of the three rooms in our house.  I guess we are brothers in arms, so to speak! 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Photo! The combination of the brick, the black trim and the stain is gorgeous. Trace

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous building and doors. I am surprised you did not stop in and inquire about how many coats of varnish and sanding process they used. Do you know if the doors open out or rise up. They are so huge.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful building. I love the arched wood doors plus the multicolored brick. I am also surprised that you didn’t inquire about their process…Don’t forget that they had multiple workers and you are only one person doing all the work! Betsey

ken schwarz said...

A very nice photo of the Sea Cliff Fire Department! Both the brick building and magnificent wooden doors reminded me of the expression "They Don't Make Them Like They Used To".

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your nice comments. It certainly is an amazing building. I did the photograph a week ago, and the varnish work was done when it was still warm last fall, so it didn't occur to me to go ask in the fire department, plus I was "on deadline!"