Friday, March 3, 2023

Mirror Image


On my walk the other day there was no wind at all, which turned Scudder's Pond into a perfect mirror.  I was standing around looking for a photograph, while holding the camera horizontal.  For some reason I turned it vertical, and then it had the tops of the trees in it, both in the sky and in the water, and it was then I realized I might have a photo.  I intentionally kept it dark, so the photograph didn't just look ordinary.  I wanted some tone in the sky, not a brilliant white sky.  I guess it doesn't hurt that this is a bit spooky looking with the white cottages nearly hidden in the woods around the pond. In all my years of looking at, and photographing Scudder's pond, I never saw this photograph before!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the mirror image. Tried to turn the photo upside down but of course, it’s swiveled immediately. The only difference seems to be the light blue shade of the water. betsey

Anonymous said...

The mirror image is amazing. The houses in the photo definitely add a mysterious and eerie feeling to the photo. Trace

Intenium said...

Huh,that's cool.

Ken Spencer said...

Glad you noticed the subtle difference between the sky's reflection in the water and the actual sky. In the original photograph, the real sky was bright white with no tone in it at all. So I darkened it and that made the mirror image effect better. Thank you to everyone who made comments. Trace, I love that you felt that mysterious sense as well.