Friday, March 31, 2023

The Streets of New York


Mom!  There's a creepy guy following that woman, and he has a camera!  Yeah, I know.  But it wasn't creepy, it's called "street photography" and I am photographing the woman from behind so she never knew.  I was doing my normal walk from the Met down to the subway at 59th street and I saw this woman in her long flowing coat.  And since the wind was blowing up Fifth avenue it opened up the coat and made this wonderful triangular shape, and that it what caught my eye. It only works because the coat is black in color, which matches the shadows on the sidewalk.  So this photograph is about design and shapes.   And the cool thing, which I would not have foreseen, is that with her trailing foot off the ground it almost appears that she is floating.  So I love this photograph for all those reasons.


You know, after talking about the fact that this photograph only works because the woman is wearing a black coat, I decided to convert the color image to black & white.  I think I like this version better.  No color distractions at all!  What do you think, do you like this version better?



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo in black and white.
Joan

Anonymous said...

When I looked at the second photo, I didn’t realize that it was black & white! There isn’t much color in the first photo. Tough decision…Betsey

Linda said...

I'm a huge fan of black and white, so I definitely think the bw version is the better of the two. I'm also a big fan of street photography. Great capture. imagesisee.blogspot.com (Linda)

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your comments and kind words, and I am glad "we" all agree that the black & white is the favorite. It is so funny, I posted the color photograph first, and THEN looking at the post, wondered "Gee how would that look in B&W?" At least I thought of it eventually.