Monday, March 20, 2023

The Mystery Buildings


Well, I have been reading and searching, but I have not been able to come up with the companies that used these two buildings.  They are north of Republic Airport and across the road, and one of them could have been used for manufacturing airplanes, especially this building.  Look at the size of it!  This panorama was taken by looking through some missing panes of glass but there was no way I was going into this building.  It has to be several hundred feet long, just the thing for an aircraft assembly line.  So I will get over to the American Airpower Museum on the airport and bring these photos on my iPad and ask the people there what these buildings were used for.  There were so many aviation companies that came and went in the vicinity of Republic since the airport was built in 1928, when it was known as the Fairchild Flying Field, built by the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Manufacturing Company. 


This is the exterior of a really long building that could also have been an assembly line.  There is hardly a shred of roof left on the building.  I entered this building where the fence is bent back and got a short way into the building so that I could get another panorama.


So this is the interior of the smaller building, and although there is a wall in the distance, the building continues on after the wall for several hundred feet.  These buildings are so devastated by time and weather, I wonder when they were last used.  Hard to imagine them sitting empty for all the time I have been on Long Island since I arrived here in 1966.  One day I will find out what these buildings have been used for, and I will certainly let you all know what I find.  Please click on these larger than normal panoramas to enlarge them and to see all the details in each photograph.





 

No comments: