Wednesday, October 13, 2021

A Day in Nature


I spent most of the day today out in nature, which was wonderful.  I was at Caumsett State Park on the north shore of Long Island.  It once was the Marshall Field III Estate - he of the Chicago department store fame.  He bought 1700 acres in 1920 and build some beautiful homes - the main mansion and a "summer cottage" and an "winter cottage."  Substitute "Mansion" for the words "cottage."  I spent years doing stories about turning the property into a New York State Park, and I was allowed to do fashion shoots there before the park was open.  But I haven't been back in perhaps 20 years.  So I think this may be the best photograph from the day, but that doesn't matter because I will show you a pile of less-than-great photographs in the coming days.  For some reason there was not much fall color in other places, but there was a fair amount on the shore of this pond, fortunately.  And Canada geese to finish off the photograph.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty colors but the two dead trees are bothering me, although they are a focal point in this photo. Did they die from too much flooding? It is nature and looks like a gorgeous day to visit the park.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What a pretty and peaceful picture. Love the colors. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Joan: Good observation - that the dead trees are the focal point of this photograph. The silver tree branches are what really caught my eye, after seeing all the color foliage. I like the contrast between the living and the dead. I have no idea why those trees died, but I am guessing that you suggestion is correct - that somehow the water level has increased, or perhaps the earth the tree was rooted in on the bank was eaten away by the water in windy conditions. Just a guess