Friday, October 29, 2021

Railroad Electrical Towers


I have always been fascinated by these towers along the railroad tracks in Connecticut.  These towers are alongside the Connecticut turnpike bridge which crosses the Housatonic river between Milford and Stratford.  Down below the turnpike, there is a truss bridge for the railroad tracks.  These structures are so delicate looking and they are beautiful because of their delicate appearance. These are called truss tower or lattice tower construction and their advantage is greater strength at a much lower weight than a solid tower would weigh.  They also have much lower wind resistance.  I would love to know more about these towers.  I believe they may have been built in the 1940's but that's just a wild guess.  They might have been made of wood before this time, but I don't know for sure. 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I have seen these from I-95 and also from the train going into New York. Now, I want to know more about them as well. Things we take for granted.
Joan

Anonymous said...

You are so right about taking things for granted. These railroad trusses have been there all my life but I have never thought about them. They are delicate looking. The open truss work makes sense for lower wind resistance since the wind can blow right through. betsey

Anonymous said...

These towers are circa 1896 with some updates over the years. Like you I am an all with these towers and want the state to preserve them and keep them restored and in healthy condition. I am upset because the ones in Norwalk are being threatened of removal. I always take pictures of these towers as well as much as I can. They are from an age long ago when sailing ships needed to clear under the telephone wires