Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Harbor at Night


I was out with my new camera prowling around, looking at the Halloween decorations on other people's homes.  One of the homes was almost across the street from the park that overlooks the harbor.  So I walked into the park and saw this scene.  I liked the change of mood seeing this in darkness instead of during the day or at sunset.  But it was dark and I didn't have my tripod and was too lazy to go back to the car for it.  So I cranked up the "film speed" to ISO 6400 and pretended I was a tripod by standing at still as possible.  The exposure was .8 seconds at f/4 which is way too long an exposure for hand-holding the camera, but what the heck.  I shot about 6 frames and this one frame, the last, had no camera shake.  This new SONY camera is really sensitive, and the quality of the image is really good, even at ISO 6400.

 

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

What I like about this photo is how the trees in the foreground frame the anchored ketch in the harbor and then the eye is led to all the lights in the distance. This photo has multiple points of interest.

Ken Spencer said...

Primo! Thanks for this. I couldn't believe I could get a sharp photo with the long exposure. But my friend Stan said, get this, that the SONY a7 has a built-in image stabilization, believe it or not! Who knew that? I certainly didn't but Stan said that's why I could get a sharp photo at such a long exposure.