Thursday, November 12, 2020

Armistice Day


That was the name of the holiday originally, when I was growing up.  The holiday marks the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I.  The date is still a national holiday in France, and was declared a national holiday in many Allied nations. However, many Western countries have since changed the name of the holiday from Armistice Day.  In England, it is called Remembrance Day, and the United States opted for Veterans Day to commemorate all Veterans and all the wars after WW I.  So here's a funny story.  My grandmother was born on Armistice day, maybe before it was called that.  So when I was in college, and it was May, and Memorial day was coming, I thought I better send my grandmother a birthday card.  Because it was Memorial Day.  So I did.  When I got home from college that summer, my Memorial Day birthday card for my grandmother's Armistice Day birthday was the laugh that kept on giving.  Everyone in the family thought that it was hysterical I did that!

 

No comments: