Saturday, November 7, 2020

BLAM!

 

I have been riding every day for the last four days because the weather has been so nice.  Yesterday, when I was almost home I was riding on Shore road which I ride on every day.  Suddenly in front of me was this Grand Canyon of a hole across the whole lane I was riding in!  I saw it too late to go around it or to stop, so I did what's called a "bunny hop" which involves yanking up on my handlebars, and lifting the front wheel off the ground.  So my front wheel was in the air going over this crater, but unfortunately my back wheel was on the ground and BLAM! it smashed into the hole!  I thought "Oh no...  A flat tire!"  And indeed, the air started leaking out.  So I was able to ride my bike for a quarter mile until all the air was out, and then I walked it the rest of the way home.  I could have replaced the tube where I was but it was easier to do it on the bike stand at home.  I was lucky that the wheel was not damaged.  Man, this is a SERIOUS hole in the road!

4 comments:

Ron said...

Looks like a typical Idaho road! Glad you and the bike are OK.

Anonymous said...

Glad you jumped the first tire over the hole. Sorry you had a flat but glad you and the rim are OK. If I tried that I would have been on my head or back on the ground. Hope someone reports this and the road is fixed soon.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you had a flat tire but I glad that you didn't go "blam" on the ground! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Joan: When I got home, I called 911, told them it was not an emergency, but... The operator seemed concerned and asked a lot of questions and said someone would check it our right away. I meant to check today to see if the hole had been repaired.